Wednesday, February 18, 2009

On my way..

February 17th, 2009
3:30 PM
From Toronto Pearson International Airport


So here it is, my very first blog! It was mere moments ago that I said good-bye to my Mom and Craig at the Toronto Pearson Airport gate. Some tears were shed, but to be completely honest, I think I got most of them cried out over the past week or so. By this point I am ready to get this adventure started!

For those of you who don’t speak German, the title of my blog “Aus den Augen, Voll im Sinn” translates (more or less) as “Out of sight, but still in my thoughts”. This is actually the title of a (German) book I read during my year abroad in Germany; the book was about two teenagers who had been dating since Kindergarten, and who’s parents decided to ship the two of them off to the USA for an exchange year (to opposite sides of the country, of course), pretty much in an effort to test their love while also allowing them the opportunity to broaden their horizons. I thought the title was appropriate to my semester abroad, and the relationships I have with the people back home, who will be thought of often despite the many miles between us.

I have three hours here at the airport before my flight departs at 6:30 P.M. this evening. One of the first things I did after making it through security was withdrawing some Euros. I am hoping that the airport exchange rate is more expensive than the rate at the bank, because I paid nearly $200 Canadian for 100 Euro – kind of puts a damper on the major shopping trip I had planned soon after touching down in Vienna ;)! In the meantime I have been meandering through some of the shops, and I bought some reading material just in case (*knock on wood*), I find myself unable to sleep on the flight. History has taught me that I don’t sleep well on airplanes, so this time I came prepared with some trusty Gravol which will hopefully knock me out. I think I’ll be needing at least somewhat of a cat nap -- I will be arriving at London’s Heathrow Airport at 6:30 A.M. (London time), after which I have a four hour layover. I will be arriving in Vienna at approximately 2 P.M. (Vienna), which sums up to be a 14-hour day of traveling. Oi!

Meeting me at the airport in Vienna is Michéle Beck, my “buddy” that my host University has set me up with (BOKU – University of Natural Resources & Science). It seems she has been a “buddy” for many past exchange students, and has been really helpful in helping me prepare for my arrival in Vienna. She has also decided to bring Kenden, an exchange student from the USA, with her to pick me up at the airport. I had initially planned on taking a cab to my residence after my arrival in Vienna, so it’ll be nice to have some friendly (if not familiar) faces meeting me at the gate.


February 18th
8:30 A.M. (London time)

From Heathrow Airport: London, UK

Almost there! The flight from Toronto to Heathrow Airport in London, England was really smooth; we departed right on time and actually arrived a little bit early. Apparently the Gravol didn’t work, I barely slept a wink! (I guess it was a “Life” brand Gravol, and didn’t really specify whether it was the drowsy kind or not.) Thank goodness the plan had individual TV’s on the back of each seat, so I ended up watching “Highschool Musical 3” :). I lucked out and ended up with a window seat, and the flight was actually not too full, which left the seat between me and the aisle guy free, and therefore plenty of room to stretch out.

I’d like to think of myself as a fairly experienced traveler, but I have to admit that the Heathrow airport is slightly overwhelming. I arrived in, and will depart from the same terminal, but nevertheless, I had to take an uncountable number of escalators just to make it to the gate area. Right now I am sitting in the waiting lounge, waiting for my actual gate number to be displayed on the board (-it doesn’t look like they post them much more than an hour before departure, so hopefully I won’t have to go too too far). With all this waiting around, I decided to ‘splurge’ and pay 2.99 British Pounds to do a little Facebook creeping. I actually don’t know if that is a ‘splurge’ or not, as I still haven’t quite figured out what the Canadian dollar to British Pound exchange rate is. For all I know, the Starbucks coffee I just bought could have been $5, but I’m content just not knowing and enjoying this much-needed coffee J.

I’ve decided I’d really like to make it back to England at some point while I’m over here. I have to admit I just love British accents (especially the kids!), and could probably sit and people-watch in this airport all day.

Anywoo, with my internet time running out, I’d better sign off.

I miss you all already, and can’t wait to share more memories and pictures with you as the semester progresses!

Cheerio :)
Alycia

No comments:

Post a Comment